One of the quickest meal you can make is soup. What I enjoy about it is that even if you haven’t been grocery shopping all week, you can usually find a carrot somewhere in the fridge maybe even one that is less than pretty. Although I tend to eat a lot of soups as a comfort meal during colder months, whenever I feel like eating a lighter lunch, this is often the way to go.
Carrot soups have always been one of the first recipes I automatically gravitate to when looking for an easy quick recipe that will last a few days. Although there are so many recipes, one thing that often gets left out is the protein. As usual, I looked through my cupboards to see what I could possibly add to make it delicious.
This is a recipe that was inspired by what was in my fridge with an extra dose of vitamine C to help fend off a cold that my son had cought.
It has a lot of flavors that are great immunatory boosters such as garlic, tumeric, ginger….obviously I did not shy away from adding these to the soup!! Since I only added smaller quantities due to their strong aromas, it was just enough to complement the sweetness of the carrot and the nutty flavor of the chickpeas.
I actually had to do 2 recipes the same week since Sasha and I ate it all!!
- 4 large carrots sliced
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil
- 3 cups of water
- ½ tsp of fennel seeds
- ½ tsp of tumeric
- 2 garlic gloves minced
- ½" of fresh ginger peeled and sliced
- 3 fresh basil leaves
- ½ can of rinced chickpeas (about ½ of 540ml)
- 1½ tbsp hemp seeds
- 3 tbsp of fresh orange juice
- Add coconut oil, sliced carrots and onions to pot, season with salt & pepper and cook on medium heat until onions are translucent
- Add spices such as fennel seeds, turmeric, garlic and ginger. Cook about 3 minutes.
- Add the water and bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer. Add the basil leaves and chickpeas. Cook on low heat for 20-25 minutes or until the carrots are soft.
- Remote from heat and add 3 tbsp of orange juice and hemp seeds.
- Blend the soup for smooth texture.
- It is now ready to serve!
Color your style, color your food, color your life!